.

.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Roasted Tomato Sauce.......


Here is my first batch of canned roasted tomato sauce. I will make two more batches before the end of summer.  This batch made seven pint and half jars.  The recipe is simple and very straight forward.  You will need enough tomatoes to fill (to capacity) a half sheet pan.  I usually buy a large box of canning tomatoes at the farm and have about 10 tomatoes left over, so you will use a lot.  

Cut all the tomatoes into quarters. There is no need to peel or core tomatoes.  Fill a half sheet pan with the cut tomatoes about a layer and a half deep. Chopped  a head of garlic and add to the tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, 3 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, and pepper.
Mix well and roast in a 400 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
With the top spout of the blender open, spoon the tomatoes into the blender.  Once it is pureed to your desired consistency add 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning and more salt and pepper to taste. Fill your prepared hot jars with the sauce and then add 1 tbsp. of Real Lemon Juice before putting on the lid 
 Process covered in a rolling boil in a water bath canner for 35 - 40 minutes:
These are the pint and half size jars was mentioning.  This is the first year that I have seen this particular size jar in the canning section of any store.  If you care to make spaghetti sauce from this recipe, I would simmer for an hour or two and add sweet basil a chopped onion and what ever meat you choose. It's a delicious basic tomato sauce.
What makes canning so much fun for me is that I know exactly what ingredients are in the food I use.  These tomatoes were  purchased from a local farm  not far from my home. 


27 comments:

  1. That is also why I like to can/freeze items myself. Love knowing where my food comes from. This sauce looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Local is best & canning rocks! Your sauce looks delicious! I'll bet your home smelled amazing. Your photos are wonderful, I love how you styled them! See you in Maine tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely, that's one of the reasons like like to do it also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I'll bet it tastes amazing on a nice cold day:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! We're about to begin the annual tomato canning marathon too! That shot of your gardens and the basket of canned sauce on the quilt is stunning! Beautiful colors all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE roseted tomatoes... and the sauce must be Beautiful... I can smell it from here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, i've been after a fab tomato sauce and this is an absolute gem... it's such a glorious colour and looks nice and thick... I SHALL be making this, thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to learn the art of canning

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've roasted my tomatoes in the oven with olive oil and salt and used them on pasta, fish, etc.. I've yet to actually try canning! Good for you:) and I love your photos here. It's incentive for me to do this. In the winter there's nothing better than a big bowl of spaghetti with homeade sauce ... I better get going on this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I've never canned my own tomato sauce, you are inspiring me. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think there's nothing better than having your own produce...you know exactly what has gone into each tasty mouthful ;D
    I haven't been able to grow my own toms this year with just moving back to the UK but I can't wait to try your recipe.
    It certainly looks a winner...thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty. That is my favorite size jar for jam. I bet you can't wait to have it with some toasty french bread.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Este es mi regalo de cumpleaños adoro la salsa casera su color es muy lindo ,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 2 great ideas. Roasting the tomatoes and pint and a half jars. I most definitely need to find some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a real comfort to have jars of homemade tomato sauce in the winter pantry! Your's looks and sounds delicious. I just ran across those jars and think they are a good size for us.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, we have 100 or so green tomatoes out there.. if they ever ripen up, I might give this a go! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just mouthwatering...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Splendid! I should do this too. I love the idea of fresh, local and homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  19. your sauce looks very good!!
    wish you a nice week,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  20. absolutely Your sauce looks gorgeous and eating tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your good recipe . I appreciate your post .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well.Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...