.

.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Fruitlands Musuem

Fruitlands Museum in Harvard Massachusetts is set on 210 acres of woodlands,  pine barrens , swampland and meadows. Situated on the property are several small building which house some very unique exhibits.  There is an Art gallery as well as an Indian Gallery, Shaker Gallery, and The Fruitlands Farmhouse.

Included on the  property is a small thoughtful gift shop and restaurant which is a treat to visit after you finish your tour.  The grounds are also used for weddings which are celebrated in a large
 snow white tent overlooking stunning farmland vistas. 
 Artfully placed throughout the trails are Massachusetts sculptor Joseph Wheelwright's  Tree Sculptures.
The sculpture pictured above is called Pine Man and is twenty five feet tall.
 The below photo is of a figure called  oddly enough, Cherry Figure.   It stands in at thirty feet tall.

If only you could experience these nature inspired masterpieces in person.

Smoke Jumper is one of my favorites because of it's soulful eyes.

Another view of this breathtaking tree sculpture .

Here is one of the smaller trees in the exhibit,  it is called Shiva.

Again another view of Shiva.   If you look close enough you can see it's face.


This ominous looking figure has the misfortune of being named Predator Tree.


 There is the oddest granite sculpture located just outside the Art Gallery.  This different piece is called Fox Face.   I really can't decide if I like it or not.  Do you have an opinion on this unique piece?

Hopefully you  have enjoyed my photo gallery of this talented sculptor's work.  Sadly, the exhibit ends at the end of October.  I have been lucky enough to see these wonders quite often. One of my sons works part time at the restaurant and I visit The Fruitlands Museum whenever I get the chance.




20 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! Wouldn't it be nice if they could leave them up through the winter, can you imagine what they'd look like in the snow!!! Not sure what I think about that head coming out of the ground . . . LOL! Great photos, you made me feel like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if these pieces influenced "The Lord of the Rings" (the film, not the book!!!!!)

    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW it's wonderful . . . just a little bit ghastly

    ReplyDelete
  4. the pine man looks like something that I might have nightmares about but I bet it was impressive to see.
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit the first time I saw the trees was at dusk and thought they were rather spooky. When you see them in person more than once they are not so spooky anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous photos - especially the trees against the cloudy sky. Another lovely post - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the tree sculptures, you're so lucky to have them nearby... when I was at art college someone had built a 'giants table' out of trees, with a giant chair pulled up next to it, waiting for the giant to come along... they had built it in a clearing in a wood owned by our college, so you kind of stumbled upon it which was really spooky... loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous sculptures for sure. I love these tree figures--what a talented artist. As for the granite-not sure I like it--it is a little scary but...it's pretty cool to see something like that from a piece of stone :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first thought was Lord of the Rings too. I think they're great! I'm not sure about that face. It looks like a death mask to me ... a bit spooky!
    Love Kathy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What amazing sculptures.
    I am always blown away at the creativity of others.
    Enjoyed visiting,

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  11. i enjoyed seeing this...they do look spooky...very halloween..i love what country sneezes said about seeing them in the snow...

    happy to see you at farmhouse, my friend

    kary and teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. we would LOVE to have you AND bella. we have plenty...it would be fun...i think we have ALOT in common, my friend :-)

    kary and teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. seriously weird tree's - my kids would get the hebe gebeies at night if we had them.
    they certainly conjeur up thoughts of the "green people".

    ReplyDelete
  14. These tree sculptures are wonderful! What a great place. I love your photos, especially the second image of Smoke Jumper. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I am following your lovely blog and look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you through Kary's blog. I enjoyed looking at all these artistic trees..a very nice exhibit! I also looked through some more of your posts and the pumpkin fudge sounds like an interesting recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the nice comments on my blog! Following you, too! Enjoying your blog! These are so cool, kind of scary but very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous post! I've never been there before... there are so many wonderful places out "west" in New England that I wish we could venture out that way more often! Those trees remind me of both Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies! ;)

    (Thank you for your sweet note on my blog today!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those tree sculptures are amazing. So creative, and so full of movement and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post! Those sculptures are really interesting.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and good luck on hitting 50 followers! :)

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. interesting in a scary way....something to be seen during the DAY. LOL. actually, really cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...