.

.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An Apple A Day.........


Here are some fun facts about the humble apple:
  • The Pilgrims  planted the first apple tree in the Bay Colony, now known as Massachusetts.
  • One medium apple is roughly 81 calories.
  • Apples are fat, sodium and cholesterol free.
  • The average person eats 65 apples per year.
  • The more apples a person eats the lower the risk is of developing lung cancer .
  • Apples and apple juice are two of the best sources of the mineral boron, which may promote bone health.
  • Because of apples high fiber content, the fruit's natural sugars are slowly released into the blood stream, helping maintain steady blood sugar levels
  • Apple trees can live for over 100 years .
  • More children prefer Honey Crisp apples than any other variety.
  • Granny Smith apples are the most popular variety worldwide.
  • It takes two pounds of apples to make an apple pie.

 Does an apple a day keep the doctor away? That's a question I don't have an answer to, but I do know apples are good for you, taste delicious and are fun to pick!!!

    10 comments:

    1. Neat info...I had 60 lbs now I have about 40 after apple butter making.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Amy, I haven't tried making apple butter yet. Maybe that's my next project. Thanks for posting on my blog!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Great facts, Amy. Wow. Imagine! Some apple trees have been around before us and will be here after we expire! I LOVE apple butter (Pennsylvania Dutch style....dark brown and spicy) and love baked appleas, too. Nice post! Love that you visit my blog. Susan

      ReplyDelete
    4. On my very new apple tree in our back garden here in Scotland, I have......ONE apple. A beautiful apple it is but it's a little sad apple. Fingers crossed it'll do a little better next year! x

      ReplyDelete
    5. I wish the saying was, "A slice of apple pie a day keeps the doc away."

      ReplyDelete
    6. so HAPPY to see you at Farmhouse and so HAPPY to follow..a new friend...

      i LOVE your blog...just charming...looks like we like alot of the same things...Bella is adorable...i have my little Teddy to LOVE and ADORE.... I LOVE anything apple too...love your grandma's yelloware bowl..i collect them too...LOVE ANYTHING NEW ENGLAND...mt girlfriend and I took a trip there a few years ago in October and we LOVED Portsmouth new hampshire so much..we drove the neighborhoods...it was raining...sigh....and we had a wonderful lunch at The Library.......

      can't wait to visit again...love it here

      kary and teddy
      xxx

      ReplyDelete
    7. Hi-
      Thank you for coming by my blog and becoming a follower.

      I look forward to visiting more in the future.

      Laura
      White Spray Paint

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hello there, I've just find you through Ocean Breezes, and now I think I'll have to stay after seeing your adorable Bella. I have a black lab called Inca, she's nearly three and is the love of our lives! I'm also snowed under with apples at the moment and frantically baking and preserving!
      Love Kathy xxx

      ReplyDelete
    9. I'm going to pick an apple from my garden to munch on a walk this afternoon... and now I know it will be doing me lots of good.

      thank you
      Celia

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...