.

.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Patriot's Day....Battles of Lexington and Concord


Above is the Old North Bridge Concord Massachusetts. The start of the American Revolution War took place right here.....

Close up of the Old North Bridge

 
By Ralph Waldo Emerson
By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard 'round the world.
In "Concord Hymn" on July 4, 1837


I find the Grave of the British Soldiers quite moving.   A mothers loss is always great no matter which side you are fighting for.

This gentleman is reenacting a British soldier standing guard and in honor of the fallen British soldiers. He is standing at the shore of the Concord River which flows under the Old North Bridge.

Patriot's Day
Paul Revere Statue Boston Massachusetts
Every student in Massachusetts has listen to or as had to learn some part of this historical poem. 
Here is an excerpt from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's famous poem .....
 
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere. 

Listen my children and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year.
He said to his friend, "If the British march

By land or sea from the town to-night,
Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch
Of the North Church tower as a signal light,--
One if by land, and two if by sea;
And I on the opposite shore will be,
Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
For the country folk to be up and to arm."



Patriot's Day is a Massachusetts and Maine state holiday and commemorates the battles of Lexington and Concord. It is celebrated on the third Monday in April.   This holiday is not to be confused with Patriot Day which commemorates 9/11.



15 comments:

  1. Wow. That gentleman in uniform is quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Concord Mass. is one of my favorite places to visit, it is alive with history, beautiful old homes and home to some of the most interesting cemeteries. Thanks for taking us along, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching post; loved your photos and the poems.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post and photos ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and although I have been to Concord, I have learned more from your blog and photos.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating story.Loved your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photographs are wonderful. I love Boston...one of my favorite visits. I had wanted to take a ride into Concord on my last visit but didn't get the chance. I am hoping to on my next visit. Wonderful post. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lexington & Concord and the rich history our country is steeped in. Thank you for those beautiful photos! I especially love the poem, The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, it's always been a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH how I wish I was there. This year as we studied American History, I felt like we got so acquainted with the founders. We studied each of those battles in depth and I used quite a few books.
    I know If we visited my son would have it forever in his mind. It must be so nice to be surrounded by such history.
    I don't even know how you would even stand there and read it and not cry. My son did say that was his least favorite thing this year was me crying at the sacrifices that were made so we can live here.
    Such amazing things Susan. Thank you so much.
    I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wanted to go up to Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lovely day out, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere takes me back to learning it school. You live in such a lovely state, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my most favorite areas in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the area around Lexington and Concord. Every year, I say to SB, "Let's go stay at a B&B next year, so that we can get up early and watch the reenactors storm the common and replay the 'shot heard round the world'!" Every year he pooh-poohs the idea ... drat! Thanks for your photo tour!

    Now, speaking oof Concord ... have you been to Louisa May Alcott's home? A worthy afternoon's junket!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...