.

.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Belleau Kitchen Dessert Challenge



These challenges of Dom's Belleau Kitchen are so much fun.  We had to once again go to our bookcase and pull out all our dessert cook books. Then randomly choose a book (I closed my eyes) and plucked The Good Housekeeping Illustrated  Dessert Cookbook out of the pile. I need to be honest here.  The first page I opened to had so many decorations on the cake I knew my skill level for decorating cakes was not anywhere near that level.  I flipped again and opened to The Berries and Custard In Coconut Shell Tart.  Off to the specialty kitchen to buy a tart pan.  I have only made one tart in my life and I had to borrow the pan from my sister.  Tarts are not in my comfort level either, but at least I knew it wouldn't look like a kindergartner made it. Here's the recipe with a few fruit changes.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 6 tbsp. butter
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 large lemon
  • 6 tbsp. butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 1/2 pints raspberries
  • 1 pint blueberries
  1. Prepare Coconut Pastry dough, measure flour, coconut, butter, sugar, and egg yolk.  With fingertips, mix together just until blended.
  2. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of 10-inch tart pan. With fork, prick tart shell in many places to prevent puffing and shrinkage during baking.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line tart shell with foil: bake 10 min.  Remove foil; again prick dough.  Bake tart shell 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
  4. While tart shell is baking, prepare Lemon-Custard Filling. From the lemon grate 1 tsp. and  squeeze 2 tbsp. juice; set aside.  In heavy 2 qt. sauce pan over medium- low heat, heat butter, sugar,  and cornstarch, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils; boil 1 min.
  5. In small bowl with fork, beat egg yolks; stir in small amount of hot sugar mixture.  Slowly pour egg yolk mixture back into sugar mixture in pan, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping.
  6. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats spoon, about 170-175 degrees.  Remove from heat.
  7. Stir lemon peel and lemon juice into custard; cover custard and refrigerate about one hour.
  8. In small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form.  With rubber spatula fold whipped cream into custard.
  9. Evenly spoon Lemon Custard Filling into cooled shell.
  10. Topped with berries.
I used blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and mangoes.


30 comments:

  1. That looks FABULOUS. mmmmm. Would like some right now! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty tart! I gave my tart pan to my mother-in-law one day because I also felt that tarts were "out of my comfort level". :D Now that I see your tart I'm starting to regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum that looks so good. What a great idea I will have to drag out the cook books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful ... and is exactly the sort of cake I would choose if I was in a patisserie in Paris!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks amazing!! tarts are not easy!! pastry totally scares me...but this looks gorgeous! :) congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tart turned out beautiful! Gonna go check out that challenge:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly does sound delicious! And I like the idea that it has coconut in it too. We're all invited over for dessert, right? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure came up with a beauty! It looks like summer!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it turned out just beautiful and just yummy. I don't have a tart pan either. I need to buy one too. Thanks for the comment about growing up next to the grave yard. I loved that story and I wish I could have seen what it looked like. It sounds so nice. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look wonderful and is a amazing picture! love the colours, gloria
    I have to comment like anonymous because I have a lot of porblems at blogger. sorry.
    http://canelakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that is something I should make this week my husband would like it and it would help to put some meat on his bones.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never made a torte in my life ... but I do have the pan! I got them at Goodwill... just in the chance of someday ... they pans were 25 cents.
    My mom loves coconut and fruit so I think I will make this recipe for her birthday in June.
    Thanks for the recipe!!!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks absolutely AMAZING!!!!
    I would pay VERY good money for a slice of that - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great challenge and you met it perfectly. The tart looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan, this looks like it came out of a high end bakery! I'll bet it was just delicious! The photograph is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That almost looks and sounds too pretty to eat! (but i would any how...:))
    Deliciously beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMGosh do you realize how good this looks and how hungry you have just made me. lol
    Honey I can not get over how creative you are and these shots of your delicious dessert are just as awesome.
    Wish I were there to share this with you.
    Hope your doing well
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to make this, I have a tart pan and never use it. This looks like it's the perfect idea for using all the great summer fruit that's coming our way...soon...I hope. The crust sounds especially interesting, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi susan...wow...what a beautiful dessert...

    i am so happy to have my computer back and being able to visit with you. i missed you.

    we should try and get a sarabeth dessert post up...maybe around the 4th of july. that would be fun. did you see sarabeth on the cover of "Where Women Cook" with molly from orangette on the cover too. it is a GREAT issue!!!!

    happy to stop by today
    sending love,
    kary and teddy

    ReplyDelete
  20. what? king arthur? are you kidding me...i could feel my heart leap when i read this...and in my BELOVED VERMONT ???? julie and i would GIVE ANYTHING to be with you girls tomorrow...what fun...think of us !!!!!

    kary and teddy
    p.s. i gave teddy a little scratch behind the ears too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The fruit tart looks wonderful! thanks for sharing the recipe - i have an american friend here holding a "pot luck" lunch soon, so will try this out beforehand as it looks great for that sort of occasion!
    have a great weekend!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This tart does look very good.

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks delicious, I will have to try it! And a little birdie told me that today is your 25th Wedding Anniversary! Happy Anniversary!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds wonderful! Love mixing the mango in with the berries...what a great combo!
    xo
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...