.

.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Portuguese Fisherman's Hake


There is a skilled fish monger who faithfully meets the fishing boats coming into the harbor everyday at  3:30 in the morning.  He sells fresh fish from his truck in the Portuguese neighborhood of the large city that I  grew up in but now live next to.  Today I got there late and the only fish that was left was Hake.  The nice gentlemen assured me I would love it.  I took his word for it and bought the whole fish.  Word of advice.  TRUST YOUR FISH MONGER!  Here is the recipe.  It was delicious.

Ingredients for sauce:
  • 1 28 oz.can of chopped tomatoes 
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 4 cloves of minced garlic 
  • 1 cup of mixed colored peppers
  • 1 onion sliced
  • 1/4 cup  white wine
  • 1/2 cup small black olives
  • 1/4 cup stuffed green olives 
  • 2  tsp. smoked paprika 
  • 1 tsp, cumin
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste 
Fish: 
  •  1 lb. or more of Hake
  •  2 cups cornmeal for dredging
  • 1/4 olive oil for frying fish  
  • salt and pepper for the cornmeal 
Directions
  1. Heat a heavy skillet on medium heat. Add the olive oil and chopped onion, cook until translucent and fragrant.
  2. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the onions and garlic and simmer on low for 10 minutes..
  4. Heat a nonstick skillet on medium high, add more olive oil.  Make sure it is hot enough to make a crust on the fish.
  5. Dredge the portions of hake in the corn meal. 
  6. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side depending on thickness.
Remove the cooked fish to a cooling rack so that it stays crisp.



10 comments:

  1. I think it must be wonderful to come to your house for a meal. What lovely food you fix. I love that little story about the fish man.
    I have missed your posts. I hope you had a lovely Christmas and you have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous! I wish I had access to FRESH fish like that! Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so incredible! I'm eating a lot of fish now so this is perfect... love that sauce with the olives, it looks so rich... perfect for this wintery weather. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Nice dish and a fish that is not being overfished... Don't you just love a crunchy crust on piece of fried fish? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks great. I have had that fish and found it good.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing! I had that fish once, many years ago in Spain and loved it! Thank you for the recipe, I'm looking forward to trying it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No fish monger here in our land locked state of Utah.... but, I would trust him, if we had one, because that dish looks delish!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice recipe, rich flavors. Thinking to serve this over pasta, and probably some cheese powder for topping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. With all those wonderful ingredients, how could this NOT be delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...