3 ears of fresh corn
1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans, washed and tipped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/4 c. olive oil
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow tomato, sliced into 1/2 inch chunks
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
Making the Salad:
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil and cook the corn for about 7 minutes. Remove the corn and drop it into a big bowl of ice water.
- Drop the prepped green beans into the same boiling water and cook for about 7 minutes – until tender crisp. Drop the beans into the ice water to stop the cooking.
- Cut the corn kernels from the corncobs and run the knife down the cobs to bring out the sweet juices. Place the corn and juices in a salad bowl.
- Drain the beans and let them dry on some paper towels. Slice in half on the diagonal and add to the corn.
- Smash the garlic cloves and add them to the beans and corn.
- Toss 3 tbsp. of the olive oil into the mix and set the bowl aside to let the garlic spread its essence.
- Prepare the onions and tomatoes.
- Just before serving, toss the red wine vinegar, tomatoes, and onions into the salad.
- Sprinkle on kosher salt and drizzle the rest of the olive oil.
- Serve with a nice crusty bread and red wine.