I made my first jar of the summer today and I would be thrilled to share this simple way of preserving your own sweet basil. You will need the following, a clean small jar, kosher salt, basil and extra virgin olive oil.
- Strip all the leaves off the basil stalk, put them in the salad spinner bowl and rinse well. Spin until they are dry.
- Pour a good amount of kosher salt in the bottom of the jar.
- Cover the first layer of salt with the basil leaves. Pack each layer of basil down well. Then continue with the salt, basil layering.
- When you get to the very top of the jar, cover with your last layer of salt
- Pour the extra virgin olive oil over the whole thing using a spoon to press down all the basil leaves. Make sure all the basil is covered by the olive oil. Store in the fridge.