.

.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Summer Gifts......

 For me, fresh summer produce is like receiving a gift that you've been pinning  for for a long time.  Here's one of the  recipes I use when the gifts start arriving.

Ina's Gazapacho.... 
  • 2 hothouse cucumbers, halved and seeded but not peeled ( I use Lebanese Cukes)
  •  3 red bell peppers, cored and seeded
  • 8 plum tomatoes
  • 2 red onions ( I use only one)
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 46 oz. tomato ( I use between 4 and 5 cups)
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
Roughly chop the cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, and red onion into 1 inch cubes.  Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until coarsely chopped.  Do not overprocess.
 After each vegetable is processed, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Mix well and  chill before serving.  The longer the gazpacho sits the better it tastes.  I serve mine with goat cheese, croutons  and a little extra olive oil on top.

23 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful, I like the goat cheese and croutons...but I'm still salivating over your lemon brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful, I love all of your yummy recipes. I hope you are enjoying your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the goat cheese for this. I will be trying those lemon brownies. Lemon is a favorite flavor of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gazapacho it's so refreshing! This recipe looks so simple compared to others I've seen. I like the addition of croutons and goat cheese! Can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I just made my very first homemade gazpacho a couple weeks ago! YUM! Only me and hubby liked it - but the kids had to eat it anyway. :) I chopped up white bread and made my own croutons in olive oil, oregano and a pinch of salt in the frying pan. THAT was the singular best idea I've had in ages. Oh... yum, yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right about the part of summer gift.
    A gift well received indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think this is on the menu for the weekend! I have all of this produce ready and ripe in my own garden... Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looks and sounds YUMMY ! Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ina's gazpacho is by far my favorite recipe. I've tweaked it a little for us, but it will always be her recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a nice cool meal! Things are winding down here, my garden is just about done. Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. just to let you know that although i am no longer blogging, i still love to read your posts and am longing to try your lemon brownie recipe..yum!

    sending you and beautiful Bella warmest hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh, this is like summer sunshine captured in a bowl.

    Thank you!

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made those lemon brownies yum, this looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favourite summer soups and yours looks fabulous!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds good! The perfect summer soup full of goodness!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. ah august is better with a soup that takes advantage of the bounty - this is great. thank you for the gift.
    xok.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like you I feel all the fresh summer produce is a gift; it is the first time I hear someone else express this. Thank you for sharing.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great combination with the croutons and goat cheese, and the ingredients sound divine. Love garlic so 6 cloves sounds fab!
    will have to try this out. Love gazpacho but not yet made it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photo and I love the sound of this recipe! Thank you so much for sharing and I'm so glad I found your fabulous blog. Looking forward to your next delicious post - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks lovely and perfect while the summer's still with us

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delicious, and I love the picture!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...